Thursday, August 2, 2012

Caaamper's Political Foray-An Introduction


Now that the Presidential election is upon us, everyone seems to be spouting their own particular political beliefs and doing their best to convince….or bully….their friends, associates, neighbors, and any remote strangers walking down the street into believing that they are correct.  If you dare to disagree, you just might lose a friend…or, maybe…be raked through the coals in the national media….boycotted….strung up on a pole and flayed alive, or you might even end up a joke on some late night comedian’s excuse for a political commentary.

So, with that in mind, I am considering a foray into the political thought process.

However, I’m not going to splash my opinions all over my friends’ Facebook newsfeed.  I’m not going to call those who disagree with me “stupid” or “bigoted.”  And, I’m going to try real hard…and probably fail to some extent…to not paint whole groups of people with the same paintbrush.

What I am going to do is own up to my own personal views.  I’m going to try my best to explain what I think about various current event issues, and how I’ve come to those conclusions.  You can be free to agree….disagree….or ignore these views as you wish.

I tend to keep most of my political views fairly close to the vest.  Most people will realize that I lean to the right, but I’m not a total Kool-Aid-drinking conservative.  I have a few liberal ideals.  The thing is that I just don’t really like those labels.  I don’t want to be snuggly tucked into a political and social box.  I think some of the left-leaning ideas are just plain crazy….and I think some of the right-tilting concepts are bonkers.  Does that make me a Moderate?  Well, maybe in some ways.  I prefer to think of myself as someone who is rational and thoughtful with a splash of idealism mixed with practicality.  How do you label that one?

Anyway, over the next few weeks and months, you can peruse…or not…my thoughts on Gay Rights, Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Taxes, and any other issue that may spur me to write.

Just don’t get all mad at me.  I’m not a hater.  Really, I’m not.

Oh, one more thing.  I reserve the right to change my mind.  I get really ticked off when some politicians are accused of flip-flopping because they aren’t keeping the same view at age 50 that they had at age 30.  So what?!  I’ve changed my mind many times, and I’ll probably change it even more times in the coming years.  The views I will share are only the most current ones created by what I’ve observed, studied, and learned to date.  If something changes my view,….well….I’ll change my view freely, willingly, and without concern as to whether someone will think I’ve flip-flopped.  Frankly, if you never change your views, I think you’re just a stubborn bonehead, and I’m not sure I’d trust you anyway.

You can feel free to post a comment either in agreement or disagreement.  I don’t mind opposing comments as long as they are respectful, rational, and not obscene.  If I find any of those characteristics lacking, I just might delete your comment.

Look for the fun to start soon.

Mike

3 comments: