Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mike's Bucket List

I’m sure that thousands of folks have done this, and some will say I’m too young myself, but I’m sitting here watching The Bucket List on TV, and I’m thinking that you can never be too young to recognize the primary things that you’d really like to get done while you can get things done. After all, no one is promised tomorrow. Should I wait until I retire or get a terminal illness to start? I think not. Time slips by so fast, and the older you get, the more you know that that fact is true.

So, here goes…my “bucket list” as it stands today…in no particular order.

1. Spend at least one night on each continent.

2. Hike to the lowest Everest base camp.

3. Bungee jump in New Zealand.

4. Become a published author of a novel.

5. Spend a week hiking the Appalachian Trail.

6. Circumnavigate the United States by car.

7. Preach a sermon at a major church conference.

8. Drive to Alaska, all the way to the north coast.

9. Witness the finish to the Tour de France in Paris.

10. Ride in the team car at a mountain stage of the Tour de France.

11. Explore the ruins of Machu Picchu.

12. Take a week long horseback adventure into the Rockies.

13. Take an African Safari.

14. See Hudson Bay.

15. Ride a boat on the Sea of Galilee.

16. Raft the entire length of the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.

17. Spend a week at a fly-in cabin in the Canadian Boundary Waters.

18. Take a bicycle tour of Scotland.

19. Visit each country in Europe.

20. Take my grandchildren hiking in the Grand Canyon.

That’s enough for now. I’m sure I can come up with more as I consider it further.

A couple of things have occurred to me as I’ve written this list. The first is that it is likely a pipe dream to think that I could actually accomplish all of the items on the list, but just attempting it would be a huge adventure in itself. The second is that the list is made up of a large number of items that are largely selfish. There are other things that are really more important in the big picture.

For example:

A. Building a life-long relationship with God.

B. Grow a family to be proud of—DONE!

C. Use my life to help others.

D. Be an influence for good in all of my interactions and relationships.

E. Be true to myself and act with integrity with others.

I could go on, but you get the point. The two lists aren’t mutually exclusive, but to me the second takes precedence over the first. What good would my life be if I accomplished everything on the first, but failed in any significance on the second?

I’m going to chase the first, but no compromise on the second! Now, which drop do I plop into the bucket first?

1 comment:

  1. love it, loved that movie, and I just love your two lists! Very nice :) One of mine - is to do a physical challenge of my Uncle Mike's :) One of these days.... :)

    ReplyDelete