Saturday, March 19, 2011

WMBO-Fitness Update-Week Eleven




As I write this, spring is just a few hours away.  Finally.

I truly dislike winter.  I suppose I should appreciate it.  After all, it is part of God's creation.  But, I can't help but think that I was built to live somewhere warmer.  I really think South Carolina is in my future.  I have a friend (Scott) who just moved back to Indiana from Arizona.  He was excited to experience some winter.  My thought:  What is wrong with him? 

I think the reason I hate it so much is a combination of three things:
1.  Very short days...darkness, gloominess
2.  Cold
3.  Barren landscape

Maybe I could handle one of the three, but the combination just sits on me.  It weighs me down more and more every year.  I recover as the days get longer and the air feels warmer, but the longer I live, the more I dread winter's return.

It wasn't so bad when I was a kid.  Snowballs.  Sledding.  Snow Angels.  I looked forward to the first real snow of the year.  I remember going out and walking and playing in the snow at night while the wet flakes fell and gathered on the leafless trees and cold pavement.  We'd throw snow at one another for hours and then, I'd come strolling in with numb fingers and toes with a nose that resembled Rudolf's; looking for some hot chocolate. 

Maybe, if all I had to worry about was whether I could pack the snow into a fort, it wouldn't be as bad.  But now, I have to be concerned about driving on slick roads, avoiding potholes, and cleaning off my sidewalks and what seems like a very long driveway.  The fun is gone. 

Enough negativity.  Spring is here!  Time for stuff to come alive!  Flowers blooming.  Leaves budding out.  The lawn turning green.  Butler kickin' butt in the NCAA tournament!  Oh, yeah.  I can almost feel the wind blowing through my bike helmet.  I love warm weather!

Here's my fitness update:

GOAL:  2011 miles in the year 2011 by walking, running, or cycling

TOTAL MILES COMPLETED:  104.2
PERCENTAGE COMPLETED:  5.18
MILE TO GO:  1906.8

CURRENT WEIGHT:  255.0

I've had the same weight now for three weeks.  I blame that fact on my sloppy eating habits.  At least the stuff I ate tasted really good.  Had a great fish sandwich in Carrollton, Kentucky at a place called "Down on Main."  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Down-On-Main-Street/265066259042  Then, on Friday, a friend introduced me to a Cajun restaurant here in Indy; "Papa Roux" at 10th & Post.  (Thanks JR)  Check it out:  http://www.paparouxindy.com/  Finally, Nancy fixed some pulled pork in the crock pot for dinner last night.  Mmmmm mmmmm.

Anyway, I need to put together a week where my eating habits match my exercise...and both are according to my plan.  I'll give it a go again this week....as I walk in the spring air. 

Lastly, I almost got the bike out this week.  Soon.  So very soon.

See you on the road.
Mike

PS:  Look for a new spiritually-based post in the next day or so.  I'm leaning toward something along the lines of "why I believe."

No comments:

Post a Comment