Saturday, May 14, 2011

WMBO-Fitness Update-Week 19

The theme of this report is "Places that I've been on foot, but would like to go back to with a bike."  This is just a sampling based on places of which I have readily available pictures.  There are many more.  I hope you enjoy what I'm sharing.  If you don't mind, leave me a comment with some place that you'd like to visit with a bike.
Along the route to Lee's Ferry in Arizona
In 2005, my daughter Angela and I took a rafting adventure down the Colorado River.  What an adventure it was!  I recommend it to anyone.  The scenery on the trip to the embarkation point was amazing too.  I'd love to go back and spend some time pedaling the view.

The Needles area, near Mt. Rushmore
In 2006, me and some buddies took a driving trip through parts of South Dakota and Wyoming.  The scene above was taken on our drive up to Mt. Rushmore.  It winds around, goes through tunnels, and is filled with spectacular views.  There would definitely be some climbing involved, so I'd want to be in stellar physical condition first.

Atop Mt. Haleakela on Maui

This stop is not for the faint of heart.  We drove to the top of Mt. Haleakela during our Hawaii vacation a few years ago.  It was warm down below, and really cold at the top.  Most people don't ride a bike UP this mountain, although I did come to understand that some pro cyclists have used it as a training ride.  


Riders about to descend Mt. Haleakela
I want to do what these guys were about to do.  Riding down Haleakela is a common touristy thing to do, but again, not for the faint of heart.  The course is fast, and winds around like crazy.  Make sure your bike's brakes are in good condition!

Near Salmon, Idaho
The scenery near Salmon, Idaho is gorgeous.  There are a lot of rolling hills, and if you are game there are some serious mountains to climb.  

Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone
I think Yellowstone would make for an incredible professional bike race location.  The terrain would be a challenge to the best of the best, and the scenery would astound anyone watching.  Of course, the riders would need to be on the look out for the occassional grizzly bear or herd of bison, but every place has its quirks.  The casual rider would find a great deal of fun and serious challenge here, but I'm not kidding when I say to ride in a group...or, you might just be dinner for a critter.

As for my report, well...it was a difficult week for me.  I've been sick.  I started getting sick on Monday, and it got worse as the week went along.  I did ride on Monday, but I felt like my lungs were going to explode, and by Tuesday, riding was not an option.  Wednesday night, I walked the quarter mile to my dinner location in Owensboro, Kentucky, and I was done for when I got back to my hotel room.  Thursday and Friday, I was miserable as I drove to Searcy, Arkansas to pick up some of my daughter's things to bring them home for the summer, but it was wonderful to see her.  She was a bright spot in an otherwise difficult time.  I'm eager to spend some time with her this summer.

Anyway, as I write this, I think I'm on the mend, but this will basically be a day of rest.

Here are the numbers, such as they are:

Weight:  256.6 lbs.

Goal:  2011 miles in the year 2011

Distance Completed:  251.5 miles
Percentage Completed:  12.51%

Time to go.

See you on the road, and may the wind be at your back.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment