Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Breathless by Dean Koontz

One thing I like to do, and I haven't done much of this year is read.  One of my all time favorite authors is Dean Koontz.  If you are unfamiliar with him, he writes mystery, suspense, and somewhat scary fiction; often with a touch of the supernatural.  He sometimes covers some horroristic (is that even a word?) topics, but I've never known him to get as graphic or vulgar as some other famous authors.

Dean is the author that got me reading.  What I mean by that is a long time ago, in a land far, far away...or, maybe it was just Columbus, Indiana...I suddenly, out of the blue, got into the mood to read a book.  As a result, I went browsing through the paperback section of the local supermarket, probably a Kroger, and found a book that intrigued me.  It was titled "Twight Eyes."  I bought it, read it, and got hooked on reading.  Since that time, I've read probably hundreds of books of multiple genres and authors, but I often come back to Mr. Koontz' stories.  The bottom line is that I really enjoy his work, and he writes in a flowing style that gives me a pleasurable reading experience.

What has spurred this post is that I just finished a Koontz book titled "Breathless."

http://www.deankoontz.com/breathless/

I don't want to give anything away, but not only was this a fun read, but I found myself quite touched at the end by a couple of things.  One was a way that the story touches on an internal cord of faith and strums the music of the mystery of creation.  The other was a story of one man's struggle with his personal demons leading to an emergence from self-destruction.

If you want a good, fun, entertaining, and in many ways inspiring story sprinkled with a mix of some riddles and puzzles, give "Breathless" a gander.

See you in the bookstore.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment