Monday, January 17, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know IT

Do you remember the old children’s song with the line: “If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands”? I’ve been thinking about it all week. Thinking about it, mind you. Not actually singing it out loud; at least not when someone was within earshot.



Wikipedia says there are several versions of this song, but I know the one that goes like this:


If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it.
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.


It’s that third line that’s been on my mind.


If you’re happy and you know it, then YOUR FACE WILL SURELY SHOW IT!


I think a great number of Christians should consider that line. After all that God has done, after all the ways that our lives are different than they would have been, after all the blessings that we have received,…


Someone needs to tell our face.


Smile!   :)


Smile, for crying out loud. Show some joy. We smile when our football team wins. We smile when someone puts a piece of apple pie ala mode in front of us. We smile when we get a raise at work. Shoot, I even smile when I get a new pair of socks. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, we should have a smile when we are praising our God for giving us new life.


Sometimes I look around at church during our worship times, and I wonder if folks are in pain.


Now, I don’t want to offend anyone. I know that different people show their joy in different ways. Just, the thing is, I’ve never known too many people that show joy with a drab expression, a scowl, or a frown.


If a stranger walked into our worship, would they know that we have the joy of our salvation in our hearts? Could they see it plastered on our faces?


Next Sunday, if this post has meant anything to you, then consider taking a moment and smile during your worship. Or, at least coddle me and give me a smile when you know I’m looking. If you see me with a goofy smile on my face, you’ll know that I’m just trying to live up to my own blog post.


Come on now! Show me those pearly whites!


Psalm 51:12 & 13Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.



Psalm 100:1-3Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.


I Thessalonians 5:16-18Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment